Our First L'Arche Home in Georgia opens in Decatur!
It is with great joy and excitement that we welcomed our three assistants and three core members as they moved into the beautiful home at 305 Mead Road in Oakhurst in August 2012. Pictured above are (left to right): Tim Moore, John Hudson, Jessica Bridges, Terry Hochschild, Sara Ellet and Lara Swenson
As of April 5, 2013, we currently have an opening for a new core member in this first home. We are now accepting inquiries in this admission process. To learn more, click here.
To see recent press on L'Arche Atlanta, read this article from Candler School of Theology. To read more, visit our Media & News page.
Thanks to all of our friends and community partners for your interest in—and support of—L'Arche. With the opening of our first home, one milestone is realized as our community continues to grow. Yet as our mission includes making known the gift of people with developmental disabilities, the work of L'Arche has just begun. We seek to engage people of all abilities fully in the life of our society and know that this enriches all of us. How do we do this? By engaging the local neighborhood and well as the larger city and surrounding areas to join us as we Imagine. Community. Differently. We invite you to be involved:
- Attending our Fourth Saturday Social Events . These monthly social events are held on the fourth Saturday of each month (except for holidays) for Adults with Intellectual Disabilities and others who choose to come and enjoy these times together. We hope that through this we'll all grow in the spirit of L'Arche, which invites us to build relationships and believes that our differences enrich the lives of us all. See our Events page for the upcoming events!
- Networking with your Contacts. We are always looking for ways to fully include our core members in community life. For example, perhaps you are an artist who would offer a workshop for core members who are interested. Or maybe your business would like to partner with L'Arche to offer employment opportunities?
Donate items needed for the L'Arche Atlanta home.
Email Lisa, if you can donate any of these items.
- small ottoman
- rocking chairs for porch
- porch dining table and chairs
- waffle maker
Finishing the Launch
. While we have achieved licensure with the State of Georgia, partial funding is only beginning to trickle in. At the same time, we have many start-up
costs that we continue to seek revenue for. Will you please consider how you can participate in this final stage of our launch? Click here for more information about our 3 year launch plan, and make
your donation today!!
As we celebrate the opening of our first L'Arche home in Atlanta, please don't stop there.
We ask you to: Imagine. Community. Differently.
Imagine a world where everyone is valued for their gifts, where everyone can find a place to call home, where everyone has a place at the heart of their community. We hope that you will join L'Arche Atlanta on this journey and share this message in your home, your neighborhood, your community.
You are invited! Join us as we Imagine. Community. Differently.
Friends of L'Arche seeks to bring a L'Arche community to Atlanta and we are actively seeking others like you to join us. Our Mission:
- Make known the gifts of people with intellectual disabilities, revealed through mutually transforming relationships.
- Foster an environment in communities that responds to the changing needs of members, while being faithful to the core values of our founding story.
- Engage in our diverse cultures, working together toward a more human society.