We are actively soliciting applications for a Live-In Assistant to be hired this autumn.
Job Description This is a full-time (40 hours per week), salaried position. The individual will live and work at the L’Arche home in Oakhurst. Assistant job duties can be broadly divided into two categories:
Sharing life in a community of people with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities.Examples of sharing life are: contributing to a community atmosphere, assisting in celebrations (birthdays, anniversaries, and farewells), making space for spiritual reflection in the home (that can look many different ways, but most often looks like a gratitude practice), showing hospitality to guests, and going on occasional retreats.
Providing support to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Examples of providing support are: assisting individuals with activities of daily living, meal preparation, transportation, social engagement with family and friends, medication management, healthcare support (accompaniment to doctor’s appointments, medical advocacy, etc.), and the documentation associated with those activities.
Compensation, Benefits, & Paid Time Off Compensation is competitive with other Direct Support Professionals. For live-in Assistants there is no charge for the room and board of living in the home, so after taxes, all the compensation is 'take-home' pay (no additional rent, utilities, internet, or grocery expenses). Additionally, L'Arche Atlanta pays 93% of the cost of employee's health insurance premium and there is an incentive program to cover the remaining 7% so there could be no out-of-pocket expenses for health insurance. Assistants also receive 20 paid vacation days per year.
18 years of age or older
Eligible to work in the United States
High school graduate or completed a GED program
Fluent enough in English to read, understand, and implement health care plans and respond appropriately in emergency situations
Able to pass a background check (no prior history of crimes against other people, financial exploitations, or crimes related to the manufacture, delivery, or possession with intent to manufacture or deliver a controlled substance)
Have a clean motor vehicle report (no DUIs, hit-and-runs, or super-speeder tickets)
Able to pass a pre-employment drug screening
Willing to become certified in First-Aid/CPR and in crisis de-escalation technique (paid for by L'Arche)
At least one year of experience in working with individuals with developmental disabilities
A current driver’s license
A willingness to make a two-year commitment to L’Arche Atlanta
Be able to model appropriateness in behavior, language, conversation, humor, punctuality, and dress
Express interpersonal effectiveness in building relationships with persons with disabilities through respectful communication and appropriate/professional boundaries
Demonstrate a sensitivity to the power dynamic that comes with working in a vulnerable population
How to Apply Interested parties should submit the following two items to Matthew Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply:
A 3-5 sentence paragraph about why this opportunity interests you
L’Arche Atlanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer that promotes diversity in its employment practices. Employment decisions will are made without regard to an applicant's actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, age, disability, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, partnership status, familial status, military obligations, status as a victim of domestic violence, veteran status, genetic pre-disposition or carrier status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. L'Arche Atlanta invites and celebrates diversity.